Stourbridge is located about 13 miles west of Birmingham, at the edge of the industrial Midlands, located between Kidderminster and Dudley.
Much of the town consists of suburban streets, interspersed with green spaces.
Stourbridge borders on green belt land, and is close to unspoiled countryside with rural Shropshire close by to the west.
The Clent Hills, Kinver Edge and large areas of farmland lie to the south and west.
Tudor Crystal is the last remaining fully functioning glassmaking factory in Stourbridge to be making lead crystal in full production.
Of these, 541 were glass workers - an increase from 409 in 1851, believed to be partly caused by the collapse of the glass industry in nearby Dudley in the 1850s.
The local glass proved particularly suitable for the industry, taken up predominantly after the immigration of French coal miners in the Huguenot diaspora.
However, most of the glass industry was actually located in surrounding areas including Wordsley, Amblecote and Oldswinford.
The vast majority of those involved in the glass trade came from Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire.
9% came from other parts of England and 0.2% had come from abroad.