Due to the catastrophic nature of these fires, operations were suspended for a few years to allow the university time to regroup and rebuild.
Citing a need to avoid confusion, distinguish itself from the University of Pennsylvania, and return to its roots by identifying itself with the city, the Western University of Pennsylvania, by act of the state legislature, was renamed the University of Pittsburgh in the summer of 1908.
During this time, the university had also outgrown its accommodations on what is now the North Side of Pittsburgh and its departments had been scattered throughout the city for years.
To consolidate all of its components on one campus, WUP bought 43 acres (170,000 m However, due to financial and other constraints, only four of the buildings were constructed in this style, of which only Thaw Hall remains today.
For most of its history, Pitt was a private institution, until 1966 when it became part of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education.
The university is composed of 17 undergraduate and graduate schools and colleges located at its urban Pittsburgh campus, home to the university's central administration and 28,766 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.